oral health matters
Healthy teeth and gums play an important role in your pet’s overall health.
Teeth cleaning for dogs & small mammals
At Centreville Veterinary Hospital, our veterinarians and licensed technicians provide COHAT (Complete Oral Health Assessment and Treatment) in Wilmington, DE, to maintain oral health. We can also help slow the progression of disease in pets with periodontal disease.
Dental Care and Cleaning for
Dogs and Cats
When the accumulation of plaque and dental tartar with gingivitis or only mild periodontitis (bone loss around the tooth) is found, COHAT (Complete Oral Health Assessment and Treatment) alone typically treats the issue effectively. In addition to preventative pet dental care, we can also do tooth extractions and other procedures if necessary. If our veterinary dentist finds abnormalities that require specialized attention, we will call you prior to doing additional procedures.
Regardless of the extent of your pet’s dental care needs, we’ll give you detailed recommendations for your dog’s or cat’s daily home oral hygiene.
Dental cleaning for pets includes:
- Complete teeth cleaning using hand and ultrasonic dental scalers to eliminate dental tarter and plaque, which can lead to periodontal disease.
- Eliminating remaining plaque by polishing to delay future deposits of plaque and tartar.
- A thorough rinse to eliminate debris before a final inspection.
- Applying fluoride or another material that prevents plaque.
- Gather evidence of disease or injury by evaluating all teeth and gums.
- General anesthesia administered during the procedure.
Contact us today to schedule your pet’s dental cleaning. Our caring team of veterinarians, specialists, nurses, and support staff are here to help you keep your pet’s teeth and gums healthy—and to give you something to smile about! And remember, we also provide care to maintain your pet’s health and treat them with the best modalities and technology available when they’re ill or injured.